Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Yet Another Open Thread

So, here's the deal. I have been whisked away on the spur of the moment for a little vacay to the crystal mines of Arkansas and am "off the grid". Yeah, I know...mining for crystals sounds more like work that play, but if nothing else I will learn a new skill and when I get back I will tell you all about it.

So, for today please feel free to discuss anything that strikes your fancy. Hey, I hear we are bombing Syria and that someone broke into the White House and actually got into the building. Oh, and if you've been following the great drama of the ages in regards to who called Senator Kirstin Gillibrand (D/NY) "chubby", well the culprit has finally been revealed. Thank goodness because I was losing sleep from the stress. [I realize none of those are not related, but it might get a conversation going] So do your stuff...



I would apologize for the inconvenience, but I am too busy having a hot stone massage and a long soak in the hot tub...oh, and digging, digging, digging...

12 comments:

Kit said...

Watching The Graduate in film class.

Anonymous said...

^We watched part of The Graduate in film school, but it was a copy from the old Criterion laserdisc with an excellent audio commentary by film historian Howard Suber... we all learned more from the commentary than from the class itself!

Anthony said...

Rather than lowering the high taxes corporations are fleeing, Obama is trying to make fleeing harder. *Sigh* Hopefully our next president will have a more realistic tax policy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/obama-inversions_n_5864686.html

The Obama administration cracked down Monday on certain overseas corporate mergers and acquisitions, aiming to curb American companies from shifting their ownership abroad to shirk paying U.S. taxes.

New regulations from the Treasury Department will make these co-called corporate inversions less lucrative by barring creative techniques that companies use to lower their tax bill. Additionally, the U.S. will make it harder for companies to move overseas in the first place by tightening the ownership requirements they must meet.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Since you'll be off the grid make sure you don't use your phone, Andrew.
Remember what happened in Enemy Of the State.

Watch out for crystal skulls and commies, and have fun, you deserve it.

tryanmax said...

Well, if it was a fellow Democrat who called Gillibrand "chubby" then we know he didn't really mean it. Especially since he was a minority. He understands the struggle. What a relief.

AndrewPrice said...

It was indeed a Democrat who called her Chubby, just like it's a Democrats who is bombing Syria. I see a connection... of some sore.

BevfromNYC said...

Andrew and Tryanmax - I find it very convenient that Gillibrand named Inouye seeings how he is dead and all and it doesn't effect anyone's re-election prospects...

BevfromNYC said...

Help me! I am in the seventh level of my hell...;-) Crystal hunting is fun, but...well, I wish I could really share the experiences I am having now, but let's just say the Illuminanti have come up. Very entertaining though...

I guess technically, I am on the grid, but don't tell anyone.

Kit said...

From USA Today: "Air war in Syria could last years."
LINK

Lovely bit of news, isn't it?

AndrewPrice said...

Kit, Did you see that Obama is declaring war on war? Huh. I wonder how that works?

Actually, the last guy to try it was Wilson in WWI -- the war to end all wars. That led to WWII and the Cold War... 100 million dead. Then the hippies talked about, but they've smoked too much dope and soon discovered that the war machine pays pretty well.

Personally, I think we should negotiate with war... or sanction it: "No war may shop at Macy's!" Take that war!

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, I have no idea what you're doing, but I can't wait to hear about it.

Jason said...

Not too long after WWI, the world actually tried to outlaw war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg%E2%80%93Briand_Pact

Yeah, that didn't work, either.

Post a Comment