Friday, April 22, 2016

Friday's Thoughts: Silicon Valley, New Album Out, and Shakespeare

Not much today. Busy w/ school work, so some little bits on TV shows out and a new album by my high school celebrity crush. Might as well enjoy things while America is still around.

Silicon Valley returns this weekend.

If you want a show that celebrates small business entrepreneurship while laughing at the pretensions of liberals, I can’t think of a better show than HBO’s Silicon Valley, created by Mike Judge of Idiocracy, Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, and The Goode Family.

Here is the trailer:



If you want something darker, you can watch Marvel’s Netflix oeuvre, Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which I might review this summer. Neither is exactly PG, both are hard PG-13, bordering on R, but both are good.

My High School Celebrity Crush has a new album Out

No, I’m not talking about Britney Spears or Scarelett Johansson or anyone like that. No, my high school crush was Irish musician Enya Brennan.

Yes, you read that right; Enya. That lady whose music you heard in hair salons. The woman who performed heavily synthesized Irish-esque Celtic music such as “Orinoco Flow,” “Only Time,” and Lord of the Ring’s “May it Be.” Yep! Enya was my big high school celebrity crush.

What? Why are you all looking at my like that?

Anyway, she has a new album out called Dark Sky Island and I am listening to it on Spotify, the first studio album since the Christmas-themed And Winter Came in 2008, seven years ago. Yes, you could make the case that once you’ve heard one Enya song you’ve heard them all. And that is a tad true. It doesn’t make listening to her music any less enjoyable.

It’s available at Amazon.

Shakespeare, 400 years

It is the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death and Daniel Hannan has a post out about him for CapX.com and it's worth a read. Here is my favorite snippet:

"If you try to claim him for any contemporary cause, you diminish rather than elevating that cause. Shakespeare will always argue both sides of a case better than you can."

Indeed. LINK

9 comments:

BevfromNYC said...

LOVE, love, love Silicon Valley! I will have to re-up my HBONow subscription to watch it. And I am with you about Enya. Poignant, meditative music. Stop looking at ME like that! Just 'cause I'm not a "millenial", doesn't mean I can't be hip and groovy too!

Kit said...

Also, the Treasury Department put a gun-owning religious nut on the $20 bill. ;-)

BevfromNYC said...

Kit...good point!

Kit said...

Bev,

Silicon Valley is a funny show.

Also, I know very few hip millennials who listen to Enya. It seems mostly to be older folks...

Allena-C said...

Hi Kit!
Just started watching Silicone Valley based on your recommendation and now I'm hooked, dammit! LOL!
I like Enya, but I also like Britney Spears. And for someone that's (sort of) in between both of those styles, I like Evanescence.
And for hard rock I love The Pretty Reckless. ;)

Daredevil and Jessica Jones are excellent series! Definitely not cliched or predictable, and very noir-ish.

Allena-C said...

BTW, I like just about everything Mike Judge has done. I think King Of The Hill is my favorite series he created, and Idiocracy is downright prophetic!
And yes, I admit it, I liked Beavis and Butthead, lol.

EPorvaznik said...

Thank you, Hulu, for having The Goode Family available even ABC buried it as best as possible.

Kit said...

"Just started watching Silicone Valley based on your recommendation and now I'm hooked, dammit! LOL!"

It's a good show, isn't it? I never imagined a show would get me thinking about "optimal tip-to-tip efficiency."

(Warning: Link is very much Not Safe For Work)

BevfromNYC said...

"If you try to claim him for any contemporary cause, you diminish rather than elevating that cause. Shakespeare will always argue both sides of a case better than you can."

I can argue that we CAN claim Shakespeare's writing/plays for contemporary causes, because he wrote about universal truths. Even his histories have relevence and can be "conceptualized" to fit any time. I have done it. Mankind has not changed, only the technology has changed...

Post a Comment